From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:02:10 -0600
Hello Mike & All,

Mike asked:
> I just wonder how many travelers on the same road realize what is being
> moved and the purpose they are being moved.

Not many! When netted on a flatbed usually only a beekeeper looking for a
load of bees notices.

Truck stops notice at times. They hate the bees left behind. I did a funny
article years ago for Bee Culture "The Truck Stop Swarm".

A small batch of
bees are usually left and the truck stop calls a beekeeper. These are almost
always just bees and no queen.
I usually make a effort to pick these up at the truck stop *I fuel at*. Also
because I keep bees on the managers farm. I shake the bees out at a location
about five miles from my closest yard. Not a big deal and she gives me a
free meal in the restaurant.

In the article I am standing on top of a semi trailer brushing the bees in a
box off the canopy. Took only a few minutes.
I have left a few "truck stop swarms " over the years.

Once in a Texas service station late at night ( early morning maybe 3-4 Am)
a good looking attendant came out and was flirting with myself, Glenn Davis
( Bell Hill Honey)&  Michael Vanarsdall.( Missouri Valley Honey) and she
unknowingly was leaning up against a netted load of hives.

She said "If you guys are beekeepers where are your hives"
We laughed and Glenn said" you are leaning against the hives" She then
noticed the millions of bees which were crawling under the nets and jumped
straight up and ran back into the station.

The truck she was leaning against had a red Meyer bee net of mine and makes
the hives hard to see. Those nets were the rage back in the 70's when I
ordered from Meyer but were too heavy so I never bought another. Very bee
tight but too heavy in my opinion. Being Florissant the load stood out on
the
road.
bob