From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:09:50 -0600
> I find it a curious matter, that the idea that cell size/broodnest
> structure can affect bee behavior, is met with such hostility.

I have not seen the idea itself met with *any* hostility.

The idea itself has been tried by many and considered by all, I am sure.
The USDA scientists I know discuss it freely and with interest, but are not
sure how to design a conclusive experiment.  Personally, I have both tried
small cell foundation (somewhat casually), visited the Lusby operation
several times, and consider Dee and Ed to be good friends.  I have written
favourable articles about Lusbys and their methods, however I have not
adopted them.

This is partially because we are in very different circumstances and fully
invested in our current technology (which continues to make money for us),
and partially because I do not know of *any* sizeable commercial honey
producer outside "Africanized areas" who has been able to make a good living
using small cell with European bees

> When beekeepers share their small cell observations, and expect others to
> do their own sorting, the cries of Prove! Prove! are quickly produced as
> though the observations/results were fabrications.

That said, however, what does seem to invariably meet with some resentment,
is the messianic fervour with which some advocates try to spread the small
cell "gospel", with a faith-based, anecdotal approach, and the inability or
refusal to produce scientific proof.  (Personally, I am not sure that
scientific proof is possible, but that is what people unthinkingly expect
these days).

In short, many are not in a position to adopt small cell and prefer other
approaches which seem to work equally well, and which have been proven to
allow production of sufficient amounts of hive products to support the
beekeeper.

Most are open-minded, but wary.

allen