From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:42:25 -0500
> I have spent a fair amount of time in the Rothenbuhler Lab,
> and don't think it is anything special...as a building goes.

My bad - it turns out that there are two different structures,
one small and very old, one larger and newer, both apparently
called "The Rothenbuhler Lab".

Allow me to quote Kim Flottum, who is privy to so many
details, he likely even knows where the privy is:

"...the one they want to destroy is a 70 or 80 year old
structure (maybe even older) that Rothenbuhler used as
a queen grafting building. The other, the actual
Rothenbuhler Bee Lab, is still standing and in good shape
and will be used by entomology extension I understand.

Interestingly, out back are the observation hive buildings
Walter used when he was in Iowa, and moved to Columbus all
those years ago. I suspect they will not withstand the
progress that is about to descend on the lab. All other
vestiges of beekeeping science have been moved out and are
now in Jim's lab in Wooster."  [End of Kim's comments]

So, the "queen grafting building" is the structure of
historical significance.  Moving it to Wooster makes
sense, as that is where one can sit on Langsthorth's
bench while wearing Richard Taylor's straw hat.

With the addition of Rothenbuhler's "shed" to the
collection of the "bee museum", another pilgrimage to
Wooster Ohio would be in order, so that one could sit
on Langstroth's bench and wear Richard Taylor's hat,
all while INSIDE Rothenbuhler's shed.

If that doesn't improve our beekeeping skills, we will
be forced to abandon the whole "learning by osmosis"
approach to beekeeping education.  :)