From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:45:05 -0500
Bob Harrison mentioned:
> An editor of one of the leading bee magazines  sent an email wanting me to
> write an article on my talk at the Kansas Honey producers meeting because he
> is getting reports from all over the U.S. of hives crashing from varroa.

This has causes me to wonder if the above described situation is
specifically a US problem , or one that is also happening in Canada -
separated only from the US by a paper line.

If it is specific to the US, then is it thought that the losses will
also eventually occur in Canada in the near future?

As Allen Dick suggested, treatment against V.d. north of the border is
different to that of the US due to beekeepers having Formic acid available.

Is this difference protecting Canadian beekeepers at the present from
the situation developing in the US? - THAT IS if there is an actual
difference in colony losses percentages from Varroa.

I do observe that once "Apistan" resistant varroa are found on Canadian
territory, the Provincial apiarists recommend the use of "Checkmite" strips.
This suggests to me that they presume that the majority of beekeepers in
these areas are not ready or capable of implementing a generalised IPM
strategy.

Noting that Coumaphos resistance is already a reality in Ontario; rather
than extending the strip treatment mentality, I would have thought that
a published IPM strategy is more than overdue.

Maybe that is the root cause of the lack of transfer from strip to IPM
mentality - there is no easy pamphlet to read and act upon.

If so: without the strips - relatively few beekeepers know what to do!

 From each Provincial Apiarist (read "local equivalent" depending on
nation), I suggest that a pamphlet entitled "Life without Strips" is
published. It indicating actions that may be undertaken to protect bee
colonies.
Its objective being to enable beekeepers in any locality to obtain and
implement a working strategy on how to protect against/treat varroa mites.

Simple really!

Peter