From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:34:48 -0800
Bill:
I am confused. Dee, I thought you bees were not
Africanized.

Reply:
I don't think so, being africanized, said so for years. But
this thing on swarming, etc and aggressiveness that seems
nowadays to be linked to ALL BEES NATIONWIDE is perplexing.
I just had to comment, for so many never having seen our
bees think they are, yet nowadays I really think newer
beekeepers and older ones, figuring the fear factor shows
on TV, can only relate bees in general to a category other,
in this case AHB for aggressiveness or swarming, without
pondering the "why?" it is happening.

Change field management for bees to more bee friendly and
bees just are bees, except for what man calls/names them.
Besides the genetics of bees can be looked at from both the
DNA and protein side for what they are IMPOV and few look
at the whole picture.

But for our area though some complain....like I said,
frames in hives correctly can practically make hives
non-swarming, along with space for the bees to work. Also
localized bees are better in several ways. Lastly, and
something to consider: the more the treatments and
interaction of such with chemicals intermixing the more
aggressive bees get, and this has been written about for
years now.........but who talks no dopes/treatments except
those wanting clean organics?

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Also one last note, I was reading information on beeswax
and propolis contamination while reading this thread and it
ended up here as I forgot to change the subject heading,
but still thinking, it does figure into this heading also,
for what is contamination for making bees attitudes change?

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper
Moyza, Arizona