From:
Tim Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:21:06 EST
In a message dated 12/19/01 12:01:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 How do other states monitor their hives?
 Thank you
 Inger Lamb,
 secretary, Iowa Honey Producers Assoc

Ingar,

While I have not had mine inspected ye, here in Ga you can get them inspected
at any time, you just have to ask. Technically by State Law all hives must be
inspected, however as we all know bees are low on the state lists so there
are not many inspectors-not enough to go around.  They tend to hang around
the areas of the state where the package bees come from. Understandable as
this is the major part of the bee industry for Ga.

Now I thought Tennessee had a nifty program. For several years they had no
inspector. The associations petitioned enough to get one state apiarist.
Obviously this was not enough for the whole state, so the state actually set
aside some money-dont know how much, whereby the state inspector could
"deputize" certain peoples in the various clubs. These deputies would then be
paid a certain amount for each hive inspected. This came from that lump sum
the state had set aside.  According to Ray McDonnell, state apiarist, it
seems to work.

Maybe this could be of some use.

TIM MORRIS