From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:47:09 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, John Mitchell
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>   But do we know what effect these screens have on small hive beetle access
>to the colonies  How would SHB infestation (and treatment) be effected? I
>imagine SHB will probably find its way into a hive no matter what, but a
>screened bottom sure seems like an open invitation.

As you observe, SHB is not found in either of the countries I mentioned,
nor indeed in Scotland where I am.

I have little knowledge of this pest apart from what i glean on these
groups, but one significant factor may be size.

What the relative size of the SHB is compared to the varroa mite could
give rise to an opportunity to fit screens which permit the mite to fall
through but prevent the beetle gaining access. The floors we have in use
experimentally have a very fine mesh on them, smaller even than the mesh
used where people use travel screens.

I don't know what the exact size is, and all the floors we have are on
hives at the moment.

I would hazard that this is a point which sounds like a valid
contention, but in practice would make little difference to SHB
infestation, as by all reports I have read they are pretty efficient at
finding the hive entrance anyway, and you can't close that off.

Regards

murray
--
Murray McGregor