From:
P Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 01:30:06 +0100
The discussion on HBGP has leant slightly to the side of arguments for/
against the investigation into the genetic make up of our favourite
insect.
I have indicated my point of view.

Taking a different aspect -

How is it envisaged that genetic modifications that may result from such
work, and then released as an end commercial product to be controlled by
the "creators".
Would the beekeeping industry tolerate the imposition of copyrighted
insects - with the overhead of possible legal action when unintentional
or uncontrolled spreading of a created genotype occurs. Could this lead
to the investigation for the production of a lethal gene to stop
un-official breeding programs?

I suggest that individuals in positions of responsibility within the
apicultural fraternity try and sort out a threshold of values and
indicate the industry's wishes to the researching community.
This would at least bring into light our wishes of what is possibly
wanted/ required - and also the contrary.
We  would also be more aware of what those wishing to create GMO's are
using as their wish list.
Peter