From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:19:07 EST
In a message dated 3/14/01 8:58:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Are there other beekeepers on
 Bee-L using yard agreements?  Agreement or handshake? >>

   I send around a letter at holiday time with a big thanks. I don't know if
the letter would carry any legal weight, but it refers to the informal lease
agreement we have, and reminds them that they are wonderful people for
providing places for these pollinators of our food crops, as well as food for
wildlife. Commercial beekeeping would not be possible today, if it were not
for these kind landowners.

     A friend of mine had a bee yard on a farm that was leased from an
absentee landowner. The farmer represented that he had control of the land,
and that he had cleared the bee yard with the actual owner. Actually he had
not. The landowner was visiting one time, and spotted the bees. After
questioning and finding out the situation, she immediately demanded $2000 per
year in rent from the beekeeper.

    A lot of people have little idea of the work beekeepers do, for not very
large returns, and it never hurts to find gentle ways to get the truth to
them.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com
(Check out another wonderful, if much maligned pollinator at:
http://pollinator.com/gallery/xylocopa_virginica.htm)