From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:09:55 -0500
Natalie said: "I did not get a certificate for testing out." <of UM's Apprentice Course>

Correct, it's like having taken and passed Bio 101 at another University.  One can access the higher level course at UM, having taken the equivalent at another institution, but you don't get to say you passed the UM Bio 101 course.

Actually, if you take our Online Beekeeping courses for Academic Credit, they are listed as Biol courses with a number - not as Apprentice, Journeyman, Master.  But you get a grade associated with the course.

If you are training others, I do recommend that you take our Apprentice level course even though you successfully tested out.  I think you should now realize the value  of the Bee-L like Forums in each  of our courses.

Don't take the Apprentice just to get the Certificate, although given your success in the Journeyman, it shouldn't be hard for you to get.  Take it for a more rounded knowledge base that you can apply to your own course.

By the way, having done very well in our Journeyman course, you are getting a Certificate for the Journeyman course.  And if you don't get into the first Master section this spring, there will be others.

FYI, the son of one of our migratory beekeepers, who has now taken both our Apprentice and Journeyman courses, told the Montana Beekeepers Association that he 'learned a lot' from both courses, and that they were now going to have their employees take the courses.  His own dad took a year long beekeeping series years ago at another college - they all 'learned' things from our courses that they didn't know that they didn't know.  Same here, I learn things from the students that I didn't know.  It's an endless process, but it's part of what makes beekeeping  interesting and fun.