From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:15:36 -0000
Bob

I have wondered how anyone arrived at 9 in 10,000.  Presumably by estimating
the number of queens produced and the total number of nests in a given area.
Whether the number is correct or not, from observation of wasp nests it
seems that more than enough queens are produced to colonise an area - by a
considerable factor - and that killing a few queens is unlikely to make much
difference.

On recruitment, by catching 100% of the scouts you do not have a problem
with large numbers at any time.  If some - often many - escape and recruit
more then you will have large numbers of wasps looking for food (what is
described as 'swarming' behaviour).  If they all went to the trap then I
guess that your theory would be correct, but if they are just recruited to
the general area then you will have a considerable nuisance on your hands.
This is what I found last year - although I caught large numbers, more and
more arrived by the day and I was inundated - my neighbours (close by -
suburban area) were not affected and thought that there were not many wasps
around!

Peter Edwards