From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:06:49 -0500
Hello All,
Beekeeping history from fifteen years ago (perhaps before many on the list
even had hives).

Apistan (fluvalinate) saved the beekeeping industries of Europe & the U.S..

Before Apistan was registered the only method of saving hives was illegal
concoctions and usually found on the internet (and used by many).

So many hives were crashing bee inspectors looked away. Over half the
commercial hives crashed in the U.S..

Many said they would never put a chemical strip in a hive. They were totally
wiped out! Apistan (fluvaliante) turned the tide exactly like it did in
Europe (and our European friends said it would).

Those which stood by and did no varroa control attempts (many commercial
beekeepers waiting for a miracle treatment other than Apistan promised by
researchers at the time) had to buy thousands of package bees from those
which had used Apistan to get back in business (if they did not quit like
many even third & fourth generation beekeeping families).

Apistan is worthless in our area and has been for around five years.

 Two commercial beekeepers tried to return last year and lost all their
hives.

I used both strips years ago but will not again as both contaminated wax and
the brood comb needed changed (my opinion and from testing). I did lose half
my hives twice but would have lost all if not for the strips.

Dead hives do not pollinate or produce honey! I have spent weeks cleaning
out varroa deadouts years ago. Not fun!

Easy for people to put down strips now! I assure the list not one treatment
talked about on bee lists will ever provide the varroa control Apistan &
checkmite (98% plus) did when released!

The value of the honey bee today in the U.S. is in pollination! Our food
supply depends on those hives! The fact that a hobby beekeeper has lost all
his hives will not raise eyebrows in Washington. if honey is not available
for their toast they will use jam or imitation honey.

I make no excuse for our use of strips. We did what we had to do to save an
industry! Less contamination methods are around *now* but the strips made
beekeeping easy!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison