From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:59:29 -0600
Hello Bill and All,

Bob  wrote:

> The original post referred to the Coumaphos resistant mites found by =
> Jeff Pettis in bees in Maine and in Florida.

Bill wrote:
Actually they were found by Tony Jadczak, the Maine State Inspector and
Jeff was called in to see what he found. The bees were a pollinators who
goes between Maine and Fla.

Actually coumaphos resistant mites had already been found in Florida but not with the amount of resistance shown in the above bees.

 The resistance level of those varroa was hard for me to believe.  I believe there is a logical explanation for why those varroa were so resistant and I could list possible scenarios but all would be guesses. without looking at the beekeepers treatment records, methods and testing.

The bottom line is the owner of those bees  was not keeping close track of his mite loads or the problem would have been detected a year earlier at least.  Having went through three years dealing with fluvalinate resistant mites several years ago I can say from experience resistance does not happen overnight.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison