From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:38:27 -0500
James Fischer wrote:

>This specific issue likely has no bearing on the CCD problem, but
>it has been shown that empty brood combs certainly can have detectable
>levels of EFB bacteria, AFB spores, and (I recall hearing) a number
>of the different bee viruses.

I wonder if we ran similar tests on the bees themselves, we would find the
same organisms. If they already carry these organisms then to put them on
old combs would make no difference, one would suppose. It is widely known
that a strong colony can resist disease below a certain threshold.

Beekeepers have been noticing for decades that *bees* prefer old combs. If
you have old and new combs in a super, the queen will occupy the old ones
sooner, and they will put honey in the dark ones first. I have a nice stash
of old combs myself. They can be used to attract swarms, etc.

However, in light of what Jerry and others are saying, I have been thinking
very seriously of putting everything on a bonfire. It would be penny wise
and pound foolish to hang on to a bunch of old combs if they are actually
the source of our problems.

pb