From:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:30:43 -0400
>Has anyone had experience with the newly imported Russian queens?
>They been here in the US for about 3 or 4 years now.
They have been released only 2 seasions now, I have had them for 3 seasions now.
< Does anyone know how they are doing in the terms of Varroa ?.
They are resistant to Varroa but they will recire fall or spring treatment to make a crop, no treatment
they will still surive with a reduced crop. They are verry resistant to TM no treatment needed waste of
money.
>Also how are they in terms of Honey Production, Temperament, Wintering, etc.
They are equal to the bees we have now for honey production, Temperament is verry good in
the pure stock, temperament in the crosses is from good to bad, wintering I can't comment on
as our winters are verry mild here in the South they use very little honey compared to our local
bees in bad times.
 When rasing queens the timing is not like our bees in that the matings will take longer, our bees
is 15 days the Russians can be 20+ days depending on weather.

Harper's Honey Farm
Charles Harper
Carencro LA
1000+ Hives