Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:54:40 +1200
The NNFA is preparing submissions to the RC that will include comment on
the effects that GE might have on bee products.

If anyone wants to have input into developing that part of our
submission can you please get in touch -- if several of us could work
via email we should get a more robust submission. Overseas input would
be welcome.

I note that Poverty Bay Beekeepers Branch (the only beekeeping
organisation) and Comvita (the only bee product company) are the only
bee related one's granted interested person status at the RC. This does
not mean that others can't make submissions -- you can.

You might like to let us know what your concerns are (as if I don't
already know -- you are totally supportive so that you can genetically
engineer [and patent and therefore make heaps of lucre] bees that seek
out and harvest 500 kg of UMF 20+ honey per hive, are disease (including
varroa) free, and rob the competitors hives. The bees will also collect
100 kg of AAA grade propolis and 100 kg of natural bee pollen in
granular form.)

Oh yeh, I nearly forgot. They also produce heaps of high octane bee
venom through stingless apertures and insert royal jelly directly into
self sealing capsules.

Cheers

Ron Law