From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:09:59 -0700
All

Dry Ice placed above the colony will kill bees quickly.  We've used dry ice
for 30+ years for putting bees to sleep (they will wake up again, if the
dose is small or of a short duration).

We also use dry ice to preserve samples (in the field).

In MT, you can buy it at any grocery store or even Walmart -- you may need
it to get your ice cream home if you live in on a ranch in a rural area of
MT.  Also, the out-of-state hunters buy it to ship their game home.

We've found it harder to find in more urban areas.  However, there are two
places to check -- 1) any gas supply firm that sells gases for welding,
oxygen to hospitals, etc., and 2) most any LARGE shipping firm that moves
household goods.  They often have it since lots of people want to move
their freezers full of food to their new house.  Personally, I'd clear out
the freezer, send it empty and dry -- but apparently lots of folks don't
want to leave the contents behind.

Jerry

P.S.  Remember to ALWAYS handle dry ice with gloves -- the ice can
instantly freeze flesh.  Also, it lasts better in a sealed container (keeps
moist air out).  Putting it in a fridge or freezer accelerates its
sublimation due to the moist environment.  A room or outside air
temperature, sealed storage box (pack any excess space with something like
crumpled newsprint, tape the seams) will hold dry ice days longer than a
fridge (the cold difference is insignificant when you consider the temp of
the dry ice itself).

In a fiberglass reinforced, 3/4 inch plywood box with 2 inches of styrofoam
insulation, I've bee able to keep a 50# block of dry ice for up to 2
weeks.  (Needed when collecting samples in remote areas, don't leave the
box open for any length of time, and if freezing samples, always place them
UNDER the ice, cold moves downward).