From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:10:19 -0500
Hello Blane & All,
> Clearly, Tibor (Steve Tabor) has shown that such selection can and will
work.

Actually (in my opinion) Steve nor any other of the researchers has proven
that such selection alone can produce a truly varroa resistant bee.  Tabor,
Dr. Shiminuki and others have put forth the theory AND I can not say I
disagree with the theory BUT the finnished product is not *on line* yet.
Even Dee & Ed Lusby say selection and breeding is responsible for only a
third of their success after ten plus years of selection.
The *quick -and -dirty* selection method has not in my opinion produced the
desired results yet.  Harris & Harbo looked deeper at exactly why the sticky
boards had less mites and took the * quick & dirty* test a step up.
Selecting and breeding for the SMR trait is complicated. As I said in a
earlier post I believe the search for SMR is above the abilities of all but
a few beekeepers. I believe testing for SMR and breeding for SMR could be
tought to queen breeders and beekeepers by Harbo but a considerable
investment in instrumental insemination equipment and a excellent microscope
would be neccessary. The folks at Ohio Queen Breeders could teach the
process in my opinion (and maybe I should email Joe & Sue and suggest they
consider offering classes).   Hives carry different mite loads for many
reasons. All bees with a low might load may not carry the SMR trait. A
couple mistakes in the selection process and you end up with a bee with a
certain amount of varroa resistance BUT not enough to survive without
chemicals ( in my opinion).
The goal of the above search has always been to find the bee which will
exist with varroa, produce like the days before varroa (U.S.) AND not need
ANY chemical treatment.
All opinions welcomed.
Sincerely,
Bob  Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Sadly the Russian queen and SMR queen varroa resistance has yet to be
proven in regards to open mated daughters in my opinion.  I am only putting
forth my opinion as did Allen & Blane.  Putting forth a opinion different
than two beekeepers which I admire and respect is not a position I enjoy
being in
but one I find myself in often!