From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:49:04 -0400
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:55:23 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>I was a bit confused, as Bob wrote on Monday, "Hopefully CCD is over,
>done, finished!"
>

>The above is what many believe ( perhaps Brian) which is  that CCD was
>overblown and not a serious issue.

I don't beleive for a skinny minute that we have a pandemic sweeping across the heartland putting
every hive at risk.

Since the beginning there has been a lot of information that does not add up.

* loss stats clearly trumped up and do not add up as I have noted
* no question it conincided with massive unusual winter losses in the north and NE
* reliance on beeks to diagnose and report...how many CCD me too reports???
* CCD affecting a small # of keepers who have lots of colonies - does not suggest then a pathogen
that randomly attacts any hive anywhere, we would see regional patterns which we do not.  if a
pathogen involved then might only be affecting hives exposed to too many mite treatments or
other stressors....then it sounds like operator based and again not a "random" problem everyone
should fear .
* bizarre reports of comb not being attacked by pests or robbed out. as mentioned here it would
not be that hard to find a chemical signature using analytical tools. this defies science and I find
hard to beleive.
* if its like past historical occurrences then not a man made problem and a scientific curiousity not
a calamity.
* given the secretive nature of some migratory keepers why would anyone beleive their survey or
otherwise answers concerning their operations particularily the chemical inputs. as a rule I only
believe info from migratory keepers I know very well.  they have lots of good reasons to hold their
cards close to their chest.

as someone else said here, CCD is only serious if you have it. for the majority of beekeepers its
not a serious issue. if I was a migratory keeper who has used a myriad of inputs into hive of varied
concentrations  I would be more worried then a stationary who uses minimal treatments.

time tells the story and we have no story only reports. some well known researchers have said for
years keep healthy bees and minimize treatments etc,reduce stress etc., some even predicted big
losses.  I think I'll take their sage advice before I beleive some bizarre tale of mystery that has
more questions then answers after 9 months.

Y2K, Avian Bird Flu, and now CCD?  I think the glass is half full