From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 12:05:45 EST
The original question about darkly painted hives as a means to control
TRACHEAL mites was posted on Fri, 16 Dec 1994 17:07:21 by Kerv Hyland

I quoted a source for a study about the topic, but confused the issue by=
mixing tracheal mites with varroa mites (not the first time I made this
mistake).  Thankfully, Matt Ter Molen <[log in to unmask]>
caught my error and set the record straight AND identified the issue
of ABJ containing the study (November 1994), which I have in front of me
at this moment.  The article, titled "Effects of Hive Color and Heat on
Tracheal Mites" by John Harbo, concluded that although dark hives (hence
high hive temperatures) ARE effective in controlling (keeping in check)
the TRACHEAL MITE population, the high hive temperatures also resulted
in a significant reduction in bee and honey production.  Quoting from
the article:
"Should Beekeepers Use Dark Hives to Control Tracheal Mites?

No.  Heat may provide an effective way to control tracheal mites, but a
treatment lasting all summer strongly reduces the production of bees and
honey during the hot weather in Louisiana.  In cooler climates, dark
hives may not reduce colony productivity, but they also may not affect
tracheal mites."

So, as is usually the case, there is good news and there is bad news,
and more research is warranted.  My apologies to Kerv and this list for
disseminating false information, and my thanks to Matt for keeping me
honest.

Aaron Morris - I think (although not flawlessly), therefore I bee!