From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:30:00 +0000
In message
<[log in to unmask]>, Brian
Ames <[log in to unmask]> writes
>To take this logic one step further a beekeeper who wanted to use a
>homemade mite treatment would just need to make sure the chemicals have
>no EPA registered use on bees/honey and then can rest assured that no
>one downstream will be looking!!!!

I think you have the wrong end of the stick there.

Removal of a limit does NOT mean the chemical is not being looked for,
far from it. What it means is that the new limit is effectively reset to
zero. There are no permitted uses, so the limit on its presence in the
product is removed as it should not be there at all.

Direct personal experience of exporting to the USA has shown this to be
the situation, albeit some time ago, and not in connection with amitraz.

If you are in doubt look at the case of the Chinese honey situation,
where vanishingly small amounts of a non approved antibiotic resulted in
bans around the world, as the substance (chloramphenicol) had no limit
set. No set limit effectively equals a limit of zero.. Also look at
nitrofurans and Argentine honey.

Now, if you really want to play around with this kind of thing, and the
chemical is legal in other countries, but has had its limit revoked in
the USA ( and other places like the EU have similar situations), you
have a nice little tool for a trade barrier!
--
Murray McGregor