From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:22:56 -0500
I just finished requeening 52 hives today, and I noticed quite a few cases
of two queens per hive, even though the average hive is just 4 frames of
brood or so. I've seen it on occasion like many of the rest of you have,
but not like this year. The first time was last Fall when a hive in some
Raspberries I was pollinating savagely attacked me, stinging me through
the suit and following my car to the gate which I estimate a quarter mile
away. It reminded me of the worst of the feral, never medicated or
domesticated Scuts I had in Africa. I took some in later to the ag
commissioner, and they were confirmed AHB. I went back later and killed
the queen and reduced the amount of brood. A week and a half later I went
back to requeen it, but there was a big, mature queen there and the hive
was full of eggs and larva.

This last operation where I requeened there were about ten percent double
queens, but I saw no link to aggressive behavior. Just more that usual. I
wonder if that particular characteristic isn't necessarily linked to
aggression.