From:
John Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:48:54 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Packer Organic Honey and Labeling

Waldemar asks:

> Anybody know what races of bees the Chinese keep and how they cope with
> varroa?

The native bee in China is Apis cerana.  They also keep  imported Apis
mellifera

Re varroa, I quote:    "The native Chinese bees do not have the same
problems," says Dr. Xiaolong Yang, post doctoral researcher in entomology
and plant pathology, who raised bees in China. "I do not recall seeing
deformed wing bees in the Chinese bee. Chinese honey bees have grooming
behavior which can remove the mites from the bees. They get rid of the
mites."
Source:
http://www.biologynews.net/archives/2005/05/17/bee_mites_suppress_bee_immunity_open_door_for_viruses_and_bacteria.html

John Howe