From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:13:49 -0500
I find Allen's post most interesting . Enough to experiment on a hive with a
glass top. Why not?

Frenchman said:
I put a layer of plastic insulation that let maybe 40% of the light coming
in, no more, so protect from hard sun and also keep better the warm during
the night

I wonder what type of insulation would work. I thought of 1/2 inch bubble
wrap as I have got plenty around for shipping.

Frenchman said:
I even see sometimes bees with pollen, enter
into the hive from the bottom, and arrived inside they forguet they are
still loaded, and then go out for work from the upper openning, then realise
they are still loaded and enter again.

The Frenchman is very observant but if he watched any hive long enough
without the glass on top he would see the same thing happen every once in a
while. I sat around three hours the first time I saw a bee fly from the hive
with a load of pollen and then return.

 One has to wonder would a hive of africanized bees become docile in a hive
with a glass top?

Wyatt Mangum showed us there were many early patents for screened bottom
boards. Any patents for glass tops on a bee hive Wyatt?

 Back when the pyramid craze (70's U.S.) was on a friend built a Plexiglas
pyramid shaped hive. The bees got to hot and absconded and the comb melted
when the heat of summer set in. Perhaps all my friend needed was insulation
like the Frenchman used?

For those not knowing what I mean by the *pyramid craze* I will explain.
People in the U.S. were selling these little plastic pyramids to keep your
bread, meat,  and other things in to keep from spoiling.Even razor blades
were said to stay sharp forever if kept in one of these little plastic
pyramids
Many other claims were made but I do not remember as I was only interested
in my friends pyramid bee hive experiment. One vender was even selling a
pyramid tent to put in your bedroom to sleep in.

Bob