From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:01:19 -0400
>I would have to beg to differ with him!
>If all the state's in the USA had any bit of a (tight) inspection program.
>THEN the (hive beetle) would have stayed in it's original finding state and
>not transported into the other states that the migratory hives traveled to.

The first hive beetle was not found in Florida but appears to have first
arrived in South Carolina. It is not known if the hive beetle infestation in
Florida came from South Carolina or was an independent introduction. If it
did come from the Carolinas it may not have been transpored by beekeepers
but could have traveled in a shipment of fruit. The spread of hive beetle
has been from both migratory beekeepers as well as package producers.

I doubt any state's program is looking for every potential introduction of a
new pest. There are just too many possibilities. What they are doing is
trying to help the current beekeepers stay in business. That means
educating, inspecting and rolling up their sleeves (maybe rolling down their
sleeves would be a better term when dealing with bees :) and working
alongside the beekeepers.

Current things being watched for are new species of mites and the Cape honey
bee.