From:
Zachary Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 08:40:57 -0500
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:04:24 -0500, Dave Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   Zachary, you need to spend a little more time at the page, or at least
>note my sig file. There is most definitely a search engine, and it works
>very well, except that there is a little delay from the time a new listing
>is made until it is placed in the search engine database by the spider.
>You'll find the search engine at the bottom of the index page.

Dave, I am sorry when I started my project about one year ago, I did not
 noticed the search engine there. My apology if I missed it then,
although I suspect that the search engine is quite new.
I did some test, searching "MI" I got 3 back, but on your Michigan page you
 had at least 6-7 entries with MI in their address. In addition, my impression
of search engine (google.com included), is that the lag is quite long (about 1-6 months).
I do not think it is a matter of 2-3 days (the robot will come in once a week at best,
then it has to be integrated with their database).

>    Do you think Extension should be competing with what the private sector
>is already doing?  What do the rest of our beekeeping community think about
>this?

Again, this is your opinion.  It does not need to be (and certainly not my intention).
There are so many bee pages
 right now and I do not see competition there (if anything it might help each with
the mutual links). I will link your page to mine and perhaps it can be complementary
instead of competitive.  I started this out as a Michigan project because I get about
10-20 calls each year.  However it is just as easy to program for the whole country.
I am now getting anything from this project, other than the satisfaction that it will
help beekeepers, and perhaps some credit.   SO THE BUTTOM LINE IS, if most of people
 think this is done with bad faith, I can discontinue the project since it has not been
 officially launched yet (or simply turn the programs to you!).  so get your votes in :)

Zachary Huang
http://bees.msu.edu