From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:25:44 -0500
I believe one of the members of the list located in Africa has previously
stated that bees deal with SHB in the native range by a combination of
absconding (due to migration of african honey bees across long distances)
and hive death due to infiltration by the Cape bee.

Published reports in the ABJ show that honey bees will propolise the SHB
into small cages and then feed them (as prisoners), rather than killing them
off.  Seems an odd behavior.

> Keith Malone wrote:
>
> What do honey bees do to combat SHB in it's place of origin,  they
immobilize
> the beetle by propolising it. But in it's place of origin honey bees are
> kept on small cells, therefore they have a greater division of labor and
are
> not overwhelmed by the extra duty of invasive pest removal or
immobilization.