From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:59:16 -0400
Arron's comments were, as usual, thoughtful.

In Maine we have seen the loss of many jobs to textile mills in the south.
Cheap labor was the reason. How should we respond? We cannot erect trade
barriers because we are in the same country. So we shifted to different
industries. Or we made what we manufacture unique and for the premium
market. Or we learned how to do it better and less expensive.

We have a PBS show called Made in Maine which looks at three or more Maine
companies each week. The ones that succeed have similar threads. For
example one is a mustard producer- the last stone ground mustard in the US.
They make a unique, quality product that is sold world wide. It is much
more expensive than French's but it sells. Other companies compete directly
with foreign imports. They survive by automating and producing a quality
product for about the same price.

If the US honey producers are to survive, the product must be unique and
excellent quality. One way to make it unique is to follow the lead of the
Germans and establish quality control at the border. But, and this is a big
qualifier, the US industry must also adhere to those same quality
standards. And here is where the problem hits home. We all know the
beekeeper who does not produce honey of our high standards. It may be
overheated, high moisture content, poorly filtered.... I have seen all that
and more in honey judging contests where it was supposed to be the best
they had.

We tried, in Maine, to set our honey apart by establishing standards to get
a distinctive label. We established the standards, made the label and had
no takers. Beekeepers would rather stay out from under any restrictive,
voluntary quality standards.

So let's make a mandatory national set of standards established by law. The
Organic folks are trying and look at the problems they are having. But if
we do, we will have honey made in the US as a quality product, distinctive
from imports. And if the imports don't measure up, they don't get in. But
based on the amount of bickering I see in the National Journals and even
this list, and the lack of success of standards in Maine, I don't give it
much of a future.

Personally, I am not as pessimistic as others concerning the future of
beekeeping. The yearly influx of over 60,000 hives into Maine for blueberry
pollination this year, and it increases each year, with the corresponding
increase in hive rental costs bodes well for the future of migratory
beekeepers.

Even the small guy can get into the act. I receive calls each year from
family sized orchards and farms for pollination services.

As far as honey, why not set up co-ops, like SueBee. Flordia/the
southeast/Northeast industry is perfect for this with distinctive honeys in
their regions. Why not an Eastern Co-op that combines the whole and sells
blueberry, orange. tupelo, raspberry etc. honeys under a single label?

We are in a difficult time which really is an opportunity for those with
some imagination and sweat to bring light into the apparent darkness. I
look no further than all the successes here in Maine.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME