From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:07:20 -0500
I don't think I am in both camps.  I could not and do not support a family
on what I make from beekeeping.  My 35 years in the Corporate world results
in my being able to more or less work full time at beekeeping and not make
any money!  (I do make money from Ross Rounds, but I don't have to have 200
hives to do that.  Tom Ross had three hives!)

As far as I can see, once one has enough hives (and related equipment)
to support a family, it is hard or even impossible to slow down enough to
just 'enjoy' beekeeping.

Certainly we never were joyful about keeping a dairy herd along with all the
related hay and cord.  We did it because we had to, and some didn't know
anything else.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear