From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:18:57 -0500
I just had a telephone discussion with Peter Borst, who works at Cornell
University.  Based on that discussion I now believe that the references I
was making to a paper being published on the results of the tests made at
Cornell were incorrect because the results of that study have never been
published.  Instead, Calderone reported on the study verbally at a meeting
last November.

Calderone reported, as did Pettis in Florida, that populations at the end of
the season were no different for hives with screen bottoms compared to hives
with normal bottoms.

This is important, as screen or mesh bottoms will not, by themselves, allow
beekeepers to avoid use of chemicals.  However, the use of screen bottoms,
killing of drone brood, formic acid, etc. should allow beekeepers to reduce
the use of fluvalinate (Apistan, in the US) and hopefully never have to use
Coumaphos.

If, through a combination of methods, we can reduce the use of fluvalinate
to once a year, some beekeepers may be able to avoid mites resistant to
fluvalinate.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com