From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:09:58 -0500
I wasn't going to take the bait on this one, but the more I think about it the
angrier I get. First let me say that I admire the hobbyist, back yarder,
beginner, newbie beekeeper. I admire their ambition and their excitement. I
admire the way they jump into something that has taken some of us years to
learn. My comments aren't really aimed at anyone in particular, but rather at
ignorance of the situation.
    Ron, you just haven't got a clue! With 50 colonies, did you make 5000 lbs of
honey? If not, you didn't have to pay the honey board a penny a pound. Lucky
you. And you probably have a job supporting your family AND your bees. Being so
insulated, I don't think you have a right to make the comments you did.
Ignorance is bliss they say. Let's look at your "5" biggest problems in the
beekeeping industry.
    The Uneducated beekeeper- Were you not one of these once upon a time(as was
I) or were you born with your beekeeping knowledge? Biggest problem here is
beekeepers who look down their noses at newbies instead of helping them out
whenever possible. This IS a community ya know!
    The Lazy beekeeper is his/her own solution. They don't last long, as they
are their own cure. Manage your own colonies properly, and your bees will still
be here when their's will have been eaten up by wax moths.
    The Cheap beekeeper? No, I haven't seen anyone put their honey is used
spackle buckets. Really, you think this is a major problem in the industry? Of
the 100 million tons of honey produced in this country, I wonder how much was
stored this way. And are you one of these "frugal" beekeepers who reuses their
Apistan strips? Hasta la vista baby.
    And the Bad beekeeper! Now there's a real problem! Our biggest problems
should be hung on them-really!! Were all a bunch of crooks looking for another
dumb mark.Whatever!
    And now we come to the Indebted beekeeper. Using your expertise to help a
neighbor remove an unwanted colony of bees. Now that's a real problem. Maybe the
real problem is that more of us don't help our neighbors for free. Maybe we
should demand their first born when we pull them out of the ditch. We should
certainly be "embarassed" by our love of bees and our willingness to help. What
a world it would be!!
    Flaming aside, What is the real problem with our industry? I believe it's
the low prices we get for our product. With 50 colonies, one could probably sell
a year's crop at the "farmers market." Must be nice. What about the commercial
beekeeper who makes many tons of honey each year. That's where the real honey
is, and the real money for that matter. We pay real money for supplies, help,
and the interest on our "indebtedness." When we sell our crop, which cost at
least $.50 a pound to produce, how much do we receive? $.60 or $.62. Oh yeah,
don't forget the honey board's penny(10%of our income!!). An $8000 profit on a
40 ton crop this year? That's not a problem is it? After working from mid March
to mid November, paying help, taxes etc, I'm so proud my honey's the best! I'm
proud all the way to to the bank to borrow more $$$ to increase my
"indebtedness" to keep this operation afloat one more year. I'm proud as hell
that I can't give my kids what they want for Christmas. Without the commercial
beekeeper's purchases, how much do you think your Apistan would cost? How about
the rest of your supplies? How long would the foundation mill be in business on
your tiny purchases?
    Ron, I'm glad you can get away so "cheaply" on your yard rentals. Rental
cost me over $1200 this year. Personally I'm glad to share the bounty, and
clearly not "embarassed".
    I don't mean to whine or sound like a sourpuss. When someone makes comments
like these, and others write in to agree "whole heartedly", it just slaps me in
the face.
                           Maintain love and respect in the community.
                            Have a nice turkey day.
                                    Mike
                            45 N 73W