From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:05:02 -0500
Dave Cushman wrote:

> You are putting all the blame on the honey, when you should consider
> using bees that can cope with the conditions that you expect to keep
> them in.

Exactly what I do.

> Bees that are natural inhabitants of northern climates can handle the
> types of honey that are available normally in that area. So instead of
> using bees that have been imported from southern climates, generate
> your own strains from those that can survive the conditions.

Please remember that we got all our bees from Europe (and now Africa) so
there are no natural inhabitants in Maine. I started with Italians and
shifter to NWC and grew my own from then on. So my bees are acclimatized
to the area.

There is a difference between survival and proper management. The
problem in my specific area is a combination of cold winters with few if
any opportunities for cleansing flights and poor final nectar sources.
When I extracted at the end of the season, my home bred bees did "cope"
but I would have small spring clusters and a minimal harvest. What was
interesting is that I was no different than any other beekeeper around
me, so I thought I was doing fine.In essence, I was exactly where you
want me to be. I had bees that survived just like all the other bees in
the area.

When I took the advice of Tony and George and managed for the proper
honey, my bees were healthier and did not just survive, but thrived.

It is well known that there are honeys that can cause problems in an
overwintering colony, especially honeydew, which is plentiful here in
the fall. My fall honey is solid in a month while summer honeys will
stay liquid for a year or more. Honeydew ferments and causes major
problems with bees, as shown to me by Tony one spring.

I really do not see what you are asking me to do. Go back to one
extraction in the fall and let the bees overwinter on poor stores, or do
what I have been doing and have both bees that survive but also thrive?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine