From:
Cliff Van Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:45:16 +1259
At the risk of turning this into a session on "Bee Eaters I Have Known",
there are certainly other critters who enjoy sitting in front of a hive and
eating bees.  The hedgehog, which long ago was brought to New
Zealand from England, is a notorious eater of bees.  No doubt the spines
of the hedgehog help to protect it from the unwelcome attentions of
guard bees, but there are plenty of reports of hedgehogs being found
dead in fronts of hives with their exposed parts full of stings.

The other classic bee eater is the cane toad, which doesn't even wait
until nightfall to dine out in front of hives.  The cane toad can handle dead
bees, live bees, bees on the wing, and bees on the landing board, all
with equal ease.  I personally have never seen a cane toad stung to
death by bees (we thankfully don't have cane toads in NZ), but on
several occasions in the South Pacific I have come across cane toads
which have eaten so many bees that they literally can no longer hop
away.