From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:34:09 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> >  Lye and Chlorox are two seperate entities.  Mix and you have an explosion.
> >  Lye is a stronge base and Chlorox is a mild acid.
> >
> It doesn't quite work that way.  Tilex brand mold and midew cleaner is lye
> and bleach.

Lye is extremely dangerous. Even adding it to water can have serious
consequences. Not sure about explosive with bleach, though, based on the
technical definition of explosive. It is highly reactive and will
generate a lot of heat when water is added.

My post was prompted by the 20 min that was being mentioned and I
thought it was alluding to the treatment of AFB by using Lye which is 20
min, but boiling just woodenware, and they were getting the two
confused.
I missed the earlier posts so eventually saw it had nothing to do with
the discussion, so backed out.

I have no idea why anyone would be adding lye to bleach or vice versa.
Lye is a strong base and bleach is a very mild acid, as noted. What you
would get is a quick release of chlorine gas. Same thing on a lesser
scale happens when people mix bleach and ammonia as a cleaner, thinking
one is good, two is better. Not so.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME