From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:24:51 +0000
Hi Bob

> Research has shown that workers lives are shortened by two weeks when
 > nosema is present in large numbers.

I have no argument with that statement, but 'large numbers' of nosema
only occurs because it is allowed to build up to a higher background
level by the use of Fumidil, and then those bees that are susceptible
explode with nosema, flooding all other colonies with higher than
background levels

Eliminate those susceptible colonies and the problem goes away... The
number of colonies actually susceptible is very low. However a different
situation occurs if the numbers of susceptible colonies is high due to
inappropriate breeding... Then you will lose large numbers of colonies.

For all sorts of other reasons I would recommend raising of queens on a
local basis, to suit local conditions, I think nosema (and
susceptibility to it) is yet another reason for local queen production,
but nosema has hardly crossed my mind since I stopped Fumidil use.

 > Two weeks of a foragers life X thousands of bees is a big loss
 > in honey production.

If they are bees with short lives in the first place you will get a big
hit by losing two weeks... Perhaps it is time for US breeders to look at
length of life of workers rather than sheer numbers ?

I have never conducted any tests on this, but productivity of my
colonies in my conditions did not change (up or down) when I stopped
using Fumidil. I get the added benefit of not having to buy sugar to
make syrup, to feed the Fumidil in, but that is another issue, although
the reasons are still grounded in local bees for local conditions.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)