From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:06:22 +0000
Bill, Nasr and all others commenting on this perennial problem,

Comments arising from the suggestion trying to introduce some
organisation into the periods when V.d. is treated reflect the
simplistic manner in which I put my suggestions on to the list.

Bill is quite right to emphasis the problems of diverse geography etc.
To clarify this matter:
I am not advocating that the whole of the Americas, E.U. etc. treat at
the same time.
What I am advocating is that at local level (County, Department, Parish,
group, Association) or at what would be deemed possible, there be
measures put into place where neighbouring beekeepers treat within an
agreed period.
This would have to take into account such matters as local
geomorphology, spatial distribution of hives, normal weather patterns
and other restrictions to practice.
At least in areas that were able to implicate this order, the chance of
rapid re-infestation of mites would be greatly limited.
Problems would still occur in boundary areas adjacent to regions having
other applied practices. This, it seems to me would be no worse than
what is happening at the present.
Spend monies on treatment material and giving time to its application -
only then having the greater benefit ruled to level not much above zero
due to a neighbour treating at another time.

Regarding enforcement - Nobody likes being told what to do and when to
do it! - But if it is explained that what you as an individual are doing
will be helping yourself and others - where is the logic in
disagreement!

Resistance: A mite that has been dosed in one hive, moved to another as
a colony breaks down or just by drifting (what ever the transfer mode)
then dosed again at a level not conducive to proper control - will not
this also aid development of resistance?

If it was explained that non participation would eventually result in
your own hives getting into trouble - most individuals would concede!
I agree, there are always a few that will not co-operate. Hence, the
suggestion of controlled supply and return of used strips in the case
of  Apistan, Checkmite. This will also limit unintended / accidental
pollution by pesticides and PVC plastics (latter adding to Acid Rainfall
amounts).

As a group of individuals, we are good at forming groups for this, that
and the other - why not medication practice.

(Medhat - organised dipping of sheep was practiced in U.K. to control
SCAB, caused by a mite! - but agree, bees have no wool).

Returning to Formic Acid treatment and Queen loss - appreciating the the
circumstances are different, Formic Acid fumigation in winter buildings
appears to increase queen mortality rates - whilst appearing to be able
to control V.d. (investigation underway by Dr. Rob Currie/Robyn
Underwood at Univ. of Manitoba. Canada).
This type of mite control presumably is of interest to those under
pressure from climatic conditions, such as Maria in Peace River area,
Alberta.

If this type of treatment becomes possible - then what!
A certain % of beekeepers treating at the end of the season outdoors,
whilst others wait for a treatment indoors. - All in the name of
control.
There is going to be a wide difference in mite populations in these
hives.

Please remember that (tongue in cheek!) I am beekeeping here in France,
well renowned for perfect order and organisation.

Peter.
Indre,
France.