From:
Matthew Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:21:30 -0800
Dear Robert (and other BEE-Lers),

I've been reading the various postings in response to your initial request. One thing you might have a problem with is that all the suggested resources for supplying bees and blocks are in the US, and you are wanting to use bee at a site in the UK. Many, if not all, of the sites and resources will be for Osmia lignaria. I know there are many Osmia species in the UK, but I'm not sure if O. lignaria is a native species in the UK. There is an on-going debate about the impacts of non-native bees on native species, particularly as it relates to foraging competition, and I believe you should consider which species is most appropriate.

The biology and life cycles of Osmia are similar, though some species will prefer different substrates for nesting in. I think that nesting blocks and similar provision constructed to the same specification as given in US guides will work. You also need to ensure there is a supply of mud for the bees to seal their nests with.

There are a lot of links to websites, and lists of books and other resources on the Xerces Society's website at www.xerces.org. Click on Projects from the homepage, then Pollinator Conservation Program from the next page, and then at the bottom the third page there is access to loads of information (immediately under the title on that page there is a link that takes you to the bottom). I hope you find this useful.

Good luck!

Matthew

On 2/6/01 at 4:46 PM Robert Brenchley wrote:

>Does anyone have experience of mason bees (Osmia spp)? I'm aware that trap
>nests are commercially available, and that they can be used for
>pollination. I'm interested in using them at an urban site in the UK, and
>I'd be grateful for any pointers.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert Brenchley

______________________________________

Matthew Shepherd
Director, Pollinator Program and Publications
The Xerces Society
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215
Tel: 503-232 6639   Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.xerces.org
The Xerces Society is a nonprofit organization
dedicated to the conservation of invertebrates.
For membership information go to:
http://www.xerces.org/mbrshp.htm