From:
Maurice Cobo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:18:16 -0600
Hi Barry:

AHB means Africanized Honey Bees.

Yes Brother Adam used bees from Africa but the Apis Mellifera Scutellata
(the mean bee we hear about) is not the only honey bees from Africa, there
are others:
- the Apis Mellifera Lamarckii (Egyptian honey bee)
- there is a black honey bee in the south / west part of Africa that I don't
remember the name
- I think that there is another one that is native of the north / west of
Africa.
All of them have the same African mtDNA, but they all do not have the same
temperment.

Not all of them are so aggressive as the Apis Mellifera Scutellata (African
Honey Bee) which is native to the tropical forests where the bees have to be
that aggressive in order to defend themselves from all the animals, birds
and insects that are so abundant in those areas.

Maurice Cobo