From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 06:28:43 -0400
<<<<I know that this was discussed already, but...

How much does a gallon of honey weigh?  I know that it depends on the
type, but on average?>>>>>>A recent query on the Bee List.

Being temporarily crippled with a bad back, the curse of the beekeeper, I
can find time to try to settle this question as it has cropped up quite a
lot lately.
The weight of a set volume of honey will vary according to temperature and
density.  For all normal temperatures and densities this variation is not
very great.
Firstly we have two gallons, the Imperial and the American.  The Imperial
gallon of water at normal temperatures weighs ten pounds.  The American
gallon is smaller,  0.8326 of the Imperial, thus 8.326 pounds of water
According to the experts high density honey, 16% water content, at 60
degrees Fahrenheit, has a relative density of 1.431.  On this basis a
gallon Imperial will weigh 14.31 pounds and a gallon American 11.91 pounds
(11lb 14.5ozs)
At 18% water, density is 1.4187, giving 14.187lbs and 11.81lbs respectively
(11lbs 13ozs)
At 20% water, density is 1.4043, giving 14.043 lbs and  11.692lbs (11lbs
11ozs)
Thus the difference in weight between high and low density honey is 4.27ozs
for the Imperial and 3.5ozs for the American gallon.
If we have some very high density honey, 14% water, then the American
gallon just exceeds the 12lb mark.
What is an average?   Over the years I have found my honey to range from
15% to 19% water, with the bulk of it around the 17% mark.  Honey of this
density or above will keep indefinitely.  Honey at 18.5% water content or
above I judge to be at risk and would dispose of it quickly.  As I use it
as a general sweetener in the kitchen and  make a lot of mead that is where
it goes.
I understand that in America honey is sold in varying quantities, large and
small.  Here in England it is retailed in the shops and at the cottage gate
in one pound jars, and to a lesser extent in smaller jars of twelve  and
eight ounces.  At these small weights any variation due to density would be
negligible.             Hope this helps and my aching back has not upset my
arithmetic.    Sid P.