From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:12:22 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> We have only one supplier in the US that comes close to Thorne box quality,
> and they exclusively use Eastern White Pine.  Thorne box quality is just
> plain over-the-top (and completely unnecessary) for beekeeping, but it is
> beautiful to look at and shows how committed the English are to providing
> the best for their bees.

Eastern white pine is abundant and fairly inexpensive. Have some growing
on our property and more in the adjoining woods. I bought a load of
1x12s (15 years ago at .36 per foot- not board foot) and floored my
kitchen with it. Also made many boxes. Beautiful wood.

As Michael noted, it was used for masts on sailing ships and, before the
revolution, were marked by the King for use on HM ships. Needless to
say, the landowners were not happy since, when they could sell them, a
tree brought a lot of money, while the King paid nothing. It was not
just tea.

At the EAS meeting last year, you could walk to a stand of white pine
that has been there since the revolution. Drive through it often.

The trees grow straight and tall. At one time in my career I was
responsible for the upkeep of the USS Constitution in Boston. We never
had a problem with white pine for the masts. The largest problem was
live oak for the ribs, especially the major bends (knees). Navy
personnel went through the South and asked landowners if we could buy
their live oaks. It is a long lived tree so there was often some family
attachment with the trees. What was wonderful was how many gave the
trees to the Navy to help keep up a major piece of American history.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine