From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 03:07:24 -0400
krengel lawrence e wrote:

> Just recently there was a recipe for sugar candy...  a rather complicated
> one... I recall a simpler one made of sugar, water, and cream of
> tartar... heated to "hard ball" candy temperature and poured into a candy
> board frame that is placed directly on top of the upper hive box.
>
> I have used this system in the past, but I don't recall the exact
> proportions of the ingredients.  Does anyone else recall?

In the Winter 1986 issue of B-PLUS (use the link given in the MIDNITEBEE
Links), Dr. Roger Hoopingarner of Michigan State University has
published this recipe, used successfully by me and others during
Michigan winters for the past 10 years.  The recipe calls for 15 lbs of
granulated sugar, a 3 lb jar of corn syrup, 4 cups of water and a 1/2
teaspoonful of cream of tartar.  Consult the original article for
details on preparation - temperatures and timing is important.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA