From:
Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:53:41 +1200
>I have been reading up on the benefits of beeswax candles and one claim I
>have come across is that burning beeswax candles produces "Negative ions"
>that "Clean your air" while paraffin candles do not.

        1  "Negative ions" (usual scientific term 'anions' - ions attracted
to an anode i.e a positive electrode) improve health  beyond doubt.  This
was clear, tho' not in the public realm at the time, from much Ossif of
Naval Research work prompted by the concept of sending men underwater for a
couple months; and more research in the decades since has confirmed several
benefits.
        2   Anions also abound near waterfalls and surf  -  helping perhaps
to explain the current series of 'Doonesbury', but anyhow commonly felt to
improve well-being.
        3   Anions are artificially generated by special high-voltage
devices (which in some cases also generate far too much byproduct ozone  -
NOT  good for health).  It would be surprising if candles generated the
same mix of anions as those arc devices.  Also I wonder whether you'd need
a Mexican-cathedral density of candles before you achieved the anion
density in the air that could be produced by a $39.95 mains-powered
few-watt anion 'fountain'.
        4   Don't 'beeswax' candles typically also contain a proportion of
paraffin?  Recipes I've seen certainly do.

        Candles help people in many undoubted ways.  Perhaps anion
generation will turn out to be another; but I'd discourage hype based on
this claim, until it gets clarified.

        In a decent science-adept society, several relevant academic & govt
lab scientists would be able to take up a suggestion like this and perform
enough expts within a year to give a useful if still incomplete picture.

        Yes, I am assuming the question hasn't been much investigated.  Few
good q's have, because few if any decent science-adept societies have
existed.