From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:27:18 -0500
All stages are killed by freezing. The moths overwinter in bee hives -- perhaps also in the soil, or inside trees to avoid cold. If the supers have truly been frozen, they should need no further treatment -- provided: they are kept sealed. The boxes must not have cracks; if they do you could tape them. The main source of re-infestation is when you bring in equipment from hives that died out. These are full of eggs.

Some fumigation of combs in summer may be necessary. Many beekeepers use PDB crystals, which are highly toxic and have residual effects. I used to burn sulfur in a pail to kill insects. Sulfur is very safe, but the fumes stink and may corrode metal parts of your the warehouse. Or -- you can just pile them on the hives. The old school believes give only as many supers as needed, but I don't think it hurts to pile them on.

Peter Borst
Ithaca NY
U S A