From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:41:57 -0000
I suspect that the myth arose because a bumblebee's wings look small in
proportion to its perceived overall size.  However, if the hairs are removed
then  it can be seen that the body is not particularly large in proportion
to the wings - and no, I do not go around removing bumblebees fur coats -
honeybees do it when a bumble gets killed in a hive.

Peter Edwards