From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:34:54 -0500
Allen Dick said "but I can see that we could
have something going using some of the auctioning sites already set up."

Yep, I agree.  I just read an article in the NY Times on the success of
these sites and will share what I recall.  These sites exist by charging
buyers a fee.  In exchange, of course, they have had to convince the buyers
that they can substantially reduce their purchase prices.  And they have
done just that!

In case of honey, the General Foods of the world would be able to make their
multi-million dollar purchases at an even lower price than they pay now.
Before you scream, on the other end the producers should collect more!  It
is the middlemen who get hurt, by being cut out.

If I get a chance, later today I will try to find the article on
www.nytimes.com.  In someone else has the time, go to it.  I also recall
that there have been some instances where one or more producers have had to
convince the buyers to use the sites and to convince more producers to sign
up.  With any luck, the large buyers, such as General Foods, are already
using one or more of such sites so the process could go relatively fast.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com