From:
"Lehr, Carl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:32:25 -0400
HELP!
	I have a 5 ft section of tree trunk (tree was cut down) that appears to have 7-8 rows of comb the full length of it with all bees still present. We have a Nature Center in which our association maintains an observation hive, but I was wondering how interesting it would be to maybe remove the bees, cut the tree trunk in half, and apply some Plexiglas to show the public what a feral colony looks like.  We could then show comparisons between bees in the wild and bees kept by beekeepers.
	From an educational perspective, it seems like it would be a great display to educate our public and worth our efforts.  However, is there any way to get the bees to vacate the tree trunk so I can work on it safely?  Could I use a fumigant and is it worth saving the bees?  If so, how do I get them out of one and into a couple of deeps?  Has anyone ever had any experience doing this?  Please contact me offline is you have ANY thoughts or ideas.  It appears to be a magnificent example of how feral bees set up house. Appreciate anyone's help on this.  Dave sends.

Dave Lehr
Carroll County, MD