From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:23:08 -0400
Chris said:

> Who do you go to for such testing?

Well, you KNOW what you did with your bees and honey,
so most of the tests are not really required.  Most
tests are done because the buyer does not "trust" the
producer, or because the buyer wants to "find" some
defect that can justify a lower-than-fair-market price
for that load of honey.

I'm not sure who, other than co-ops, buyers, and
brokers, have the expertise, experience, or
subject matter knowledge to perform such tests.

Or the interest.  Labs do not like having to create
test methodologies when they do not see much of a
"market".  Maybe the State Apiarists know of labs
that can (and will) do some testing if you are
interested in getting some "baseline" test data, just
to verify that your normal practices are not resulting
in honey that is less-than "commercial quality". Plan
of spending hundreds of dollars.

> If the commercial level isn't obtainable, it would be
> useful to know what a competent (i.e., follows the
> directions for medications, keeps honey comb clean,
> processes honey in an area that is as clean as one can
> get in a home setting etc.). backyard beekeeper should
> do that they aren't.

My view is that, as a "smaller" producer, I am not
obligated to test every batch of honey, as long as
I keep good records that document my compliance with
industry standards and regulations.  When did I put
in my Apistan? When did I take it out?  When did I feed?
When did I stop?  When did I super?  Did the bloom happen
in a timeframe relative to my supering and harvesting that
allows me to say that a specific super contains a specific
monofloral honey?  If you document the activities for each
and every colony and each and every super, you have a
"paper trail" that can be used to prove that your honey
is a product of "good practices".

Keeping good records lets you PROVE that your actions were
consistently "competent", and obviates the "testing".

Since you are not making the extreme obvious errors in
the area of basic sanitation that many have seen some
beekeepers make (which I feel is the only major sin that
hobbyist beekeepers uniquely face), the easy way to look
at this issue is to ask if you would feel proud if your
honey customers watched every step in your honey processing.

I have a 8 foot by 8 foot "glass wall" window on my honey
house.  Anyone who wants can drop by and watch the honey
processing (without getting in the way or getting the place
dirty). Its about the only way my friends are able to see
me when it is harvest time!  They all want my honey, so I
can conclude that I am meeting or exceeding my customers'
criteria for clean and sanitary practices.

The "as clean as one can get in a home setting" may
be something one can improve.  Assume that your honey
comes from the bees in "perfect" condition. (It does!)
All one need then do is keep things as clean as a surgical
theater, and not screw up the honey.  Think stainless steel
or enameled countertops and tables, dust covers for everything,
floors that are washed down daily during harvest season, and
clean, clean, clean.  (Our dog thinks that he did something
"wrong" during every harvest time and mopes around a bit when
I don't let him come with me into the honey house.  I have to
give him special attention to make up for it, but his usual
position at my feet is not acceptable when I am working with
honey.)

Since I assume that you will not be blending your honey,
the "tests" you need to think about might be reasonably
limited to the usual "honey show" tests (refractometer
and polariscope, both which should be something you can
borrow from your local bee association).

There's an idea - treat EVERY bottle/comb as if it were
going to be entered in a honey show.  Could you enter a
randomly-selected bottle from your "regular production"
in a show and expect to get a respectable score?

If not, why not?
Now, fix it.

(Wow, I'm starting to sound like Ann Harmon!
How embarrassing for her!  I'd better stop.
Ann?  Ann?  Any words of wisdom?)

        jim