From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 11:11:29 -0600
I've been thinking about fluvalinate resistant mites, and tests used to
detect them.  I gather the Pettis test is the standard test and that
variations such as the one described at
http://www.csl.gov.uk/prodserv/cons/bee/resistance/RTFS.pdf are also
used.

Such tests seem to me to be somewhat academic and cumbersome for the
average beekeeper who is using Apistan with good success.  For most of
us, if we simply monitor our hives for natural mite drop at several
times over the season (which we do here), will it not be obvious if an
Apistan treatment fails or is not completely successful?  Such
monitoring also tells us when using this expensive treatment is
justified, and when we can save our $$$ because the varroa is well below
harmful levels.

If we check for natural mite drop a short while after using Apistan and
find we are getting a drop, then we must assume that the Apistan did not
work.  At that point, we must decide why.  Perhaps the Apistan employed
was defective or had been stored badly, maybe it was installed away from
the cluster, or maybe Apistan is no longer effective against the mites.
At that point, it might make sense to use the Pettis test or a
modification to confirm our suspicions, but as a routine monitor, these
test seem to me to be cumbersome, time-consuming and destructive to
bees.

I guess what I'm saying is that complex tests are not necessary to get a
heads-up if resistance evolves or migrates to our apiaries -- regular
observation of natural drops with simple screened sticky boards should
give us advance warning of disaster, at very low cost and minimal
effort.

Given the simplicity of sticky board monitoring, and the vital
information that even a few boards in an apiary can return,  I find it
hard to believe that there are still beekeepers out there who have never
used a sticky board, but there are quite a few.  Why?

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com