From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:30:11 -0700
Michael Palmer writes:
You may be able to do splits/divides in Arizona, after the
flows are over for the year, but not up here. The latest I
made nucs this year was August 15...on early Goldenrod.
Even those are iffy. Some will build up ok, and some will
not.

Reply:
We will do some this year in each yard if possible.

In other years, in the past, we requeened out whole outfit
just to see what would happen, but you only do this in good
El Nino waves/years in tandem and not in mass during long
droughts.

But I will take the top best, which normally gives about 1
-3 per yard at a ratio of about 1 divide for every 10-15
colonies. Then depending upon the strength of parent colony
I will either set down with reduced entrance on bottom
board, or simply put a double division screen inbetween.

With the double division screen I then have option of
setting apart come spring or simply pulling out screen to
recombine as they will still be scented alike vs setting
down which will be scented differently. But the double
screens will give advantage to the ones together (normally
slightly weaker then those actually put on ground) for the
new ones now on top of parent colony will then have chance
to brood more thoughout winter and will normally come out
increased in size come spring (but you have to leave them
adequate pollen frames/honey.).

Will see how things progress come bedding down come 1Nov.
But I like last fall divides for then you cross over into
the more dark zone for matings where yellow drones if any
have been kicked out and only black are left, which can
dramatically change things in ones local area mating wise.

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper
Moyza, Arizona