From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:15:28 -0400
As is typical, for most of August my platform scale hive has been steady or slowly losing weight, down just under 10 lbs. / 4.5 kg, thru the beginning of this week.  Then, it started gaining weight, first just in half pound increments, but yesterday gained 4.5 lbs. / 2.2 kg., so I think the fall flow has started.  It is probably Japanese knotweed, which looked ready to pop when I passed by a stand a couple of days ago.  Goldenrod has been blooming since July and is almost over.  Not much nectar this year, probably due to lack of rain (it's been pretty dry), but LOTS of pollen.  All hives have lots of bright yellow pollen stored.  The bees are almost manic in their activity levels coming and going from the hives (just 12 in a row, but still a lot of bees), which is impressive (and gratifying) to see.  Fun to mow in front of them at this time of year with both hands on the throttles of my ZTM.  The smell is wonderful, almost intoxicating.

My best single gain day was two years ago in the middle of the knotweed flow, when the hive gained 18.5 lbs. / 4.6 kg.) in one day and 68 lbs / 17 kg over the 9 days of the main flow.  Not huge by some standards, but pretty good for around here in September, I think.  Several nice days ahead, but dry, so will be interesting to see if they come close to that this year.

Will be adding supers today to be fed back to the bees later, as needed.  I expect a long dry spell after this is over and before they shut down in November, so will give them plenty of room for stores now (and later will feed pollen patties).

Hope others have a good fall flow.

Oh yeah, for those who wonder about such things, despite the weird weather this year, the flow started TO THE DAY on the same date.  I could be totally wrong, but it seems that late-season flowering plants are less impacted by early warm weather (via the PIF4 control gene?) than spring-season plants, and more regulated by length of photoperiod.  Ask me after I collect 30 or so years of data.

Bill